Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Follow Us On Twitter


 Spring Time

After the recent storms and bad weather we are all looking forward to the arrival of Spring, but the new season can bring some dangers for our canine friends. Many plants that will be starting to bloom in the great outdoors are toxic to dogs, and some can even be fatal, if your dog consumes enough of them. This means it is important that owners watch out for any poisonous plants which can be a threat to their dogs’ health.
Daffodils are a popular symbol of spring, in gardens and in the home, dog owners should be precautious when they come across any with their canine. Lycorine, the toxin found in daffodils, causes vomiting, as well as other symptoms such as drooling, diarrhoea and wobbliness. Daffodil bulbs also contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can lead to skin irritation if dogs come into contact with them. In large amounts, daffodils can cause damage to the liver if eaten, and ingesting them may be fatal. It is safest for owners to avoid keeping daffodils anywhere dogs can reach them and to steer clear of the plant on walks.
Tulips contain the toxin Tuliposide A, which is extremely dangerous for dogs and can even be fatal. The toxin is most concentrated in the bulb, but all parts of the plant, including leaves, stem and petals, can be dangerous for dogs. If a small amount is ingested, symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhoea and drooling. In more serious cases of tulip poisoning, symptoms can include an increased heart rate, breathing difficulties and tremors. Tulips can also cause irritation to the mouth and digestive system, so if you think your dog has eaten any tulips, however small the quantity, it is best to get them to a vet for treatment as soon as possible.
Snowdrops may be less toxic to dogs than daffodils and tulips, but they can still be a serious health risk if they are eaten in large quantities. These smaller, unassuming flowers can sprout up among the grass at this time of year, meaning that you may not immediately notice if your dog is sniffing around them. This makes it all the more important to be on the lookout for signs of snowdrop poisoning. If eaten, snowdrops can cause symptoms from stomach pain and vomiting to loss of coordination or muscle spasms. While snowdrop poisoning is relatively rare and most dogs make a full recovery, it is always best to seek a vet’s advice if you are unsure about your pet’s health or think they may have consumed this flower.
Rhododendron bushes are a common sight towards the end of spring, as their distinctive pink and purple flowers come into full bloom. However, all parts of the plant, from the flowers to leaves and stem, are poisonous to dogs. Toxic resins, called grayanotoxins, are present throughout the plant, meaning that it can cause vomiting, drowsiness and breathing difficulties in our canine companions. Even a few leaves of the plant would be extremely dangerous for a curious dog, so they are best avoided.
Poisonous to both cats and dogs, hyacinths belong to the Lilaceae family. Most plants in this family contain allergenic lactones and other similar alkaloids and for that reason, are considered severely toxic. Most concentrated in the bulbs, hyacinth ingestion can cause intense drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. If a large quantity of bulbs have been consumed, dogs may experience exacerbated symptoms such as increased heart rate, changes in respiration, and difficulty breathing.
According to PPH, ingestion in large amounts is markedly worse and most often occurs if dogs have access to a large bag of bulbs or if they dig up freshly planted bulbs. Ingestion of hyacinth can also result in tissue irritation to both the mouth and esophagus.
The iris plant is aesthetically pleasing to the eye and gives off an aromatic fragrance, two qualities why people enjoy having this plant in or around their homes. However, if your dog chews on the iris or ingests a part of it, he can become very ill and will need to be taken to the veterinarian immediately. Depending on the amount and the part of the iris consumed, symptoms may develop quickly or over a period of several hours. If veterinary care is not sought out, consequences can be dire.
What happens if my dog has eaten one of these plants?
The first thing to do if you believe your dog has consumed a toxic plant is to get them to a vet as soon as possible. Speed is key, as treating poisoning before the toxins are fully absorbed gives affected animals the best possible chance of recovery. It is useful to take a photo of the plant that may have been eaten to aid identification, and be able to provide further information to the vet on when and how much was eaten.
Treatment for plant poisoning may include induced vomiting shortly after the plant is eaten, and activated charcoal may be given by mouth to absorb harmful toxins. Intravenous fluid may also be needed to aid decontamination and severely affected dogs may be kept in a clinic for monitoring.

Lost Pet Information

Here you'll find links to our Information pages -

            What to do if you lose your pet

            What to do if you find a dog

            The law on micro-chipping

Please visit our Facebook and Twitter pages for the latest missing pets.


Twitter:     @findmurphyhusky and MA_PurplePoppy

Instagram; Theyalsoserved and Murphys_army





Cookie Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Do you accept?